Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day. A day to celebrate or remember our fathers, husbands or the father figures in our lives. Usually to celebrate we buy the tools, or the ties or the golf items based on his particular likes and sometimes the quirky stuff we see in the store that we think he will just love and then we never see him use it. Some fathers just like to be left alone in the piece and quiet...this basically describes my father on any day of the year. Regardless of how the fathers in the world spent their day I wish them a Happy Father's Day!

The fathers in my life include both grandfathers-Alan and Fred-although they are in England...my own father Alan and my husband Jamaine. All serve a very different purpose in my life of course.

I never really got to know my granddads although I remember them both showing me card tricks and they were both known as card and game cheats! They both served in WWII and did their country (England) proud! Alan (Paternal) will be 91 on July 5th---Jocelyn's 3rd birthday---and Fred  (Maternal) will be 92 on August 28th!  Granddad Alan is the jokester although rare is the moment when you catch him smiling on camera...he certainly seems like the grumpy Granddad on camera! Granddad Fred is very funny as well and he taught me many card tricks when I was little, although I can barely remember them now. I wish I could have spent more time with them through my life, I am sure I would have benefited greatly from it. Happy Father's Day Granddad and Happy Fathers Day...other Granddad!! I am blessed to still have the both of them in my life!

My dad...I remember one time, when I was a teenager, I had my back to him during an argument and he touched my shoulder and I turned around and instinct told me to hit, and I did...as I picked myself up off the floor with a sore arm and broken pride I remember thinking "that was probably a BAD idea". I always remember he was the one to fear but he only hit me that ONE time. Funny how that works. He is the one that probably instilled in me the love of travel and my desire for adventure. Not like climbing a mountain kinda challenges but let's see what's down this road types of challenges. He also probably gave me his love of history...now don't get me wrong, I am not a history buff like him but I do enjoy learning about it. He has always been there for me, even through my stupidity in my teenage years, although he was never a very verbal dad. Happy Father's Day Dad!

Now for the father that I had a choice about...the father of my children. He is an amazing father to both of my girls. He is always there and they know they can always count on him. Much like my father, they have a fear for him that hasn't come from any spanking or anything like that...it is some unspoken "I mean business" language that only dads have. He walks around the entire neighborhood (400 and something houses) passing out fliers for Lexie's bake sale. He was there for Jocelyn during her spinal tap when I knew that was something I could not bear to see and they suggested all of us leave the room...but he was determined to be there. He has never been without a job and nothing is too good for the girls and me. I am so lucky to have him in my life and the there for the kids. They both love and cherish him very much. Happy Father's Day Honey!

All this being said, we can't forget the fathers that are no longer with us. I have many friends that have lost their fathers, be it years ago or just weeks ago, I am sure Father's Day brings everything right to the surface again. We also can't forget the single mothers out there holding it down on their own and playing the father role. Happy Father's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment