Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I am almost 20-13!

Well readers, in 4 weeks I will be 20-13! Some people call it 33. Whatever you prefer is fine. You know, age really doesn't bother me at all. Some people struggle with each birthday as it comes around and some have that ONE that they don't want to come...I have yet to have one that has really made me cringe. I know some of my 40, 50 and 60 something friends might scoff at the thought of a 30 something having a hard time with a birthday, but I think each person battles with a birthday at some point, it could be 25, 30 or 65. My kids birthdays have been tougher than any of mine so far. Jocelyn turning 1 was HARD. Lexie turning 4 was HARD--don't ask me why--mine will, hopefully, be 105!

Although I have 2 children of my own, one going into the 7th grade and another only a preschooler, and I have been living on my own, well, with my husband for almost a decade, I still catch myself having to remind myself that I am an adult. I still, very much, have the "kids table" mentality. This can both be a negative thing or a positive thing. On the negative side-until just recently, I would wait to see if some things would, sort of, handle themselves, like waiting for mom to take care of it, and it never seemed to work out that way. The bills didn't pay themselves and the sink full of dirty dishes was still there after I came home from work. On the positive side-I still feel close to my older daughter and her generation. She doesn't think of this as a positive thing, I'm sure. I still like SOME of the "kids" music and I know and understand most of the slang...I'm hip like that yo! But seriously, I feel like once I get in shape I will be the adult I thought I would be when I WAS my daughter's age...just with less money (stupid lottery and their tricky number system).

One of the things that feels different about being an adult is my relationships with extended family. Remember, we all live far apart so it can be a few years between visits. Meeting my family as an adult, paying my own bills and raising my own children with my own husband in my own place, has been great. I wasn't always the best kid, especially in my teenage years, but having grown up relatively normal has proved beneficial to these relationships. This allows them to see the person that was behind all of my earlier stupidity.

All things considered, I think I have turned out ok...as stated by numerous family members in recent years, I was worried there for a while. My kids are both gorgeous and smart...my hubby is amazing except when he isn't (just kidding babe) and the bills are paid and the dishes are washed---even though I had to do it all by myself!

 (still thinking of that catchy sign off)    

No comments:

Post a Comment