Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Palms Academy

The decision to Homeschool Jocelyn was VERY easy for me. Of course, I know not every day will be easy, and Jocelyn will not be excited to learn every day and I will not be excited to teach everyday, but I know her and I know how she likes to learn so I know we will be successful. My reasoning behind it was medical, and I am sure most of you have figured that out by now. Due to her Kidney Disease, she will not be potty trained by the time school will start and I certainly wasn't going to put her in that situation.

What I didn't know when I started thinking about this homeschool thing was that you had to come up with a name. Now, this has to be a respectable name that you can put on a transcript later in life so "Jocelyn's Cute Little Toosh School" was out. I went back and forth using family names and places (Mountford School-after my Gran's maiden name, Fairway Learning Center-after my address) but I went into something both of us share...she loves to point out Palm Trees and loves figuring out the different types...sooo, I went with Palms Academy. She gave me the thumbs up so I guess we were good with that.

Another thing I didn't realize is how much SPACE homeschooling took up! It's not just a teacher book and some paper (obviously, I knew going in it was more than that). I have so many books, so many notebooks, so many manipulatives, props and posters, craft supplies, coloring utensils, and paper. What am I supposed to do with all of it?? I guess it will work itself out once I get started. I am all about functionality. Once we get into a routine and I have felt it out a little, I am sure I will get a good system going.

Jocelyn is currently very excited to start Kindergarten although I don't think she gets that she is doing it AT home. She knows that I am her teacher and she gets that I am working on planning her work but she says things like "I will do that and then bring it home", so we are working on her understanding HOMEschool. She is anxious to start and keeps asking "Can we do school?" I have made up my mind to basically follow Lexie's school year, except for a few nonsense days that the school district gives the kids off. It should work out perfectly. That gives us 5 more weeks before we start!!

I have also come across a local homeschooling group that sets up field trips and such. That will help keep her socialized and keep things fresh and enrich her learning. I am looking forward to them, maybe more than she is. There is a trip to the Aquarium, An Orchard, and Grocery Store that are planned already. We will also be doing virtual field trips to the various countries we will be studying or video lessons about animals or weather. I am basically learning as I go but I will figure out what I can fit into the day, and what I can't.

I have no qualms about the public school system as my oldest daughter has been successful for the past 10 years or so. I, of course, worry about them getting in with the wrong crowds and picking up bad habits, but I know they have to be able to make mistakes to learn from them. Right now, the plan is to homeschool for Kindergarten and get her into school for 1st grade. I hope that homeschooling is so successful that we decide to continue but that is yet to be seen. I might fail miserably and Jocelyn might learn nothing but then I might teach Jocelyn more than any public school could teach her in 3 years. I am just going to go with the flow, stick to my schedule as well as I can and keep Jocelyn moving forward. I am sure I will be posting along our homeschool journey! Wish us luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment